(serves 4 – 6)
1kg piece of roasting Norbury Farm British Rosé veal
1 carrot, cut into pieces
1 onion, quartered
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 celery sticks, washed and cut into pieces
a large bunch of parsley
400-700ml vegetable stock (depending on size of your slow cooker)
a Knorr Herb Infusions Stock Pot
a pinch of salt and a good quantity of black pepper
2 tbsp plain flour.
1. Heat a non-stick frying pan until very hot, then seal the veal on all sides. Leave the veal in place on each side, so as to gain a good colour on the meat and fat as this colour equates to flavour.
2. Place the meat into the slow cooker and replace the lid.
3. Add the stock and the contents of the herb infusions stock pot to the frying pan and heat through, stirring, to de-glaze the pan of all the veal flavours.
4. Add the vegetables, herbs and seasoning to the slow cooker, replace the lid and cook on high for 4-5 hours.
5. At the end of the cooking time, remove the meat from the slow cooker to a warmed plate, cover with silver foil and leave to rest in a warm place while you make the gravy. Increase the slow cooker’s heat to maximum.
6. In a small bowl, place the flour and moisten it with a little cold water until a fluid paste texture is achieved.
7. Using a slotted spoon, remove all the vegetables except the carrot and discard.
8. Using a potato masher, mash the carrot until it has thickened the gravy a little.
9. Pour the flour mixture into the slow cooker, stirring all the time. The gravy should thicken almost instantly, but replace the lid and give the gravy 5-10 minutes for the flour to cook. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
10. Carve the meat and serve with roast potatoes, vegetables and the lovely gravy.